Dentures provide a practical and effective solution for those who have lost some or all of their natural teeth. They help restore confidence in speaking, eating, and smiling. However, dentures require proper care and attention to ensure they remain in optimal condition and serve you well for years. The following are some of the best tips on preventing denture repairs and extending your dentures’ lifespan, so you can continue to enjoy the benefits they offer.
Proper Cleaning and Maintenance Techniques
Daily cleaning routines are crucial for maintaining the appearance and functionality of your dentures. An effective denture cleaning process involves the following steps:
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and non-abrasive cleaner specifically designed for dentures: A soft-bristle brush will help prevent scratches on the surface, while a non-abrasive cleaner ensures that the denture material remains intact.
- Avoid hot water or harsh chemicals: Hot water can cause dentures to warp, while harsh chemicals may weaken or damage denture material. Always use lukewarm water and gentle cleaners to protect your dentures.
- Gently brush all surfaces of your dentures: It is essential to clean every part of your dentures, including the areas that come into contact with your gums and the spaces between the teeth. This helps prevent plaque buildup and keeps your dentures looking their best.
- Rinse your dentures thoroughly: After brushing, rinse your dentures under running water to remove any remaining food particles, plaque, and stains. This step ensures that your dentures remain clean and fresh.
Avoiding Harmful Habits and Foods
Protecting your dentures from potential damage requires being mindful of certain habits and foods. For example, don’t use your teeth to open packages. This places undue stress on your dentures and may lead to cracks or fractures. Instead, use scissors or other appropriate tools to open packages.
Avoid chewing on hard objects like pens or ice, as this can cause dentures to chip or break. Opt for softer alternatives when possible. And choose denture-friendly foods that are easy to chew and swallow rather than sticky or tough foods that may cause excessive pressure on the denture material.
Correct Storage Methods
Proper storage of your dentures is essential for maintaining their shape and preventing damage. Use denture containers filled with water or denture-cleaning solution. Keeping your dentures moist prevents them from drying out and warping. Denture containers provide a secure place to store dentures while maintaining the necessary moisture levels.
Also, you should avoid exposing dentures to extreme temperatures: Extreme heat or cold can cause dentures to warp or crack. Store your dentures in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight or heat sources.
Regular Dental Check-ups
Regular dental check-ups offer numerous benefits for denture wearers, including:
- Examination of denture condition: Dentist professionals can assess the overall condition of your dentures, checking for signs of wear or damage that may require repair or replacement.
- Assessment of oral health changes: Changes in your gums or jawbone may affect the fit of your dentures. Regular check-ups allow dental professionals to identify these changes and recommend adjustments.
- Professional cleaning and adjustments: Dentists can provide thorough cleanings and make any necessary adjustments to ensure your dentures fit comfortably and securely.
Proactive Care and Maintenance Tips
Taking proactive care of your dentures involves several key practices. First, you should always handle your dentures gently to avoid dropping or damaging them. Avoid excessive force or bending, as applying too much pressure on your dentures or attempting to bend them can cause fractures or other damage. Treat your dentures with care to maintain their integrity.
Make sure you maintain good oral hygiene. Keep your remaining natural teeth and gums healthy by brushing and flossing regularly, using mouthwash, and scheduling routine dental visits. And finally, use denture adhesives or relining solutions. If your dentures become loose or uncomfortable, consider using denture adhesives or visit your dentist for relining services to ensure a comfortable and secure fit.
How Aesthetic Dental & Denture Clinic Can Help with Denture Repair
At Aesthetic Dental & Denture Clinic, our team of dental professionals is committed to helping you maintain the health and functionality of your dentures. We offer various services, including denture repairs, emergency denture repair, adjustments, and routine check-ups. Contact us today to schedule an appointment at our Camden location, and let us help you extend the lifespan of your dentures.