In contact sports, we usually wear protective gear like helmets but many of us leave one area exposed to injury and that is our mouths. Your mouth is one of your most important areas and should be protected during sport. It is not compulsory for many sports to wear a mouth guard but by wearing a mouth guard you can prevent serious dental injuries.
What is a Sports Mouthguard?
A mouthguard is worn in your mouth during activities like contact sport. There are three types of mouthguards available and these are called ready made mouthguards, boil and bite mouth guards and bespoke mouth guards created by dentists.
Custom made mouthguards are the best out of the three because these fit comfortably, are durable and will last, are easily cleaned and as these are made specifically for your mouth and will not restrict your breathing or affect your speech.
When Would You Need a Mouthguard?
It would be very beneficial for you to wear a mouthguard while taking part in the following sports: Football, Boxing, Ice hockey, Basketball, Rugby, Field hockey, Soccer, Gymnastics, Skateboarding, Lacrosse, Skiing, Racquetball, Wrestling and Volleyball.
Why You Need to Wear a Mouthguard
You will need to wear a mouthguard to prevent the following injuries:
- Tooth Cracks and Fractures – A mouthguard will take most of the impact if you get hit in the face/mouth which protects your teeth from being cracked, misaligned or broken. A broken, chipped or cracked tooth is painful and can result in tooth loss over time as it will eventually loosen. If you lose a tooth it will need replacing with a denture. By wearing a mouthguard, you can avoid tooth loss and denture costs.
- Facial Injuries – If you get hit in the mouth and you are not wearing a mouthguard you could bite the soft tissue in your mouth. This will damage the tooth and the tissue surrounding the area. A bite like this may need stitches which could result in facial scarring. This type of injury is also painful.
- Fractured Jaw Bones – A mouthguard will protect your jaw from impact. When the jaw is not protected it could fracture. A jaw fracture could need to be operated on.
Benefits of Wearing a Custom Made Sports Mouthguard
While all the mouthguards available offer protection and are better than wearing none, there are some additional benefits to wearing a custom-made mouthguard and these are:
- A bespoke mouthguard caters to your individual needs. Every mouth is different and for some cases a guard that fits poorly can cause more damage. This would be the case if you had crooked teeth or if the guard simply didn’t fit your teeth properly.
- A custom mouthguard is more expensive, but it is an investment and will save you money, time and from severe dental injuries. If you were to have an accident with no mouthguard or a poorly fitting one, then you may need dental reconstruction and/or an emergency procedure. This will cost a lot more than a bespoke mouthguard that would have protected you.
- Custom made mouthguards are durable. These guards are made with vinyl material and are long lasting. As this material will be moulded to your mouth it means the guard will fit properly which results in it lasting longer.
- Personal style. When buying a custom mouth guard, you can choose the colour and design. If you wanted your sport teams colours you could have that or maybe your name. You could even have a picture put onto your mouthguard. This makes it stylish and everyone will know it’s yours which helps if it got lost.
How Aesthetic Dentures Can Help
If you are interested in a sports mouthguard, speak to the team at Aesthetic Dentures. We will be able to help you start the process of having a custom made guard. By having a mouthguard made by our expert team you can guarantee that your mouthguard will fit your mouth perfectly!