If you have been told that you need dentures or a partial denture, it can be quite overwhelming. There are so many options available these days that it can be hard to know what is right for you. Should you go with a metal or plastic denture? What is the difference and which one is right for you?
It’s important to remember that dentures serve a purpose. They aren’t just for appearances, they help keep teeth in line and protect remaining teeth from any damage not forgetting to make it easier to eat and chew food. Your dentures need to be natural looking and comfortable, without interfering with the way you talk and eat.
Metal or plastic dentures can be a matter of preference, however, your dentist will be able to tell you which is best suited to your needs. Metal does have a few advantages over plastic mainly being sturdier and longer lasting than plastic. Plastic can be preferred if you have allergies to any metals.
Benefits of Metal Dentures
- Longer lasting.
- Provides extra strength.
- Doesn’t have to cover as much of the roof of your mouth than plastic does.
- Feels more natural to wear due to the weight.
- Can add additional teeth to your denture, plastic dentures would need to be completely remade.
Benefits of Plastic Denture
- Clear clasps are used to hold the denture in place, no metal can be seen.
- Cheaper and easier to make than metal dentures.
- More comfortable to wear as plastic is more flexible.
- Less likely to cause irritation when chewing and talking.
Our staff are highly trained to know which denture is right for you. We will thoroughly discuss your options before your dentures are made, that way you can ensure you are getting what you need. Once your dentures have been made we will work with you to make sure that they fit correctly and more importantly comfortable.
Give us a call today on (02) 4655 4438 to learn more about dentures and what they can do for you.
Alternately, fill in the form to the right and we will contact you as soon as possible to arrange an appointment.